In the constant struggle to lose weight, we have found and seen many healthy diets and foods, such as low fat, low carbohydrates, use of Himalayan salt, paleolithic diet, vegetarian, vegan, etc. When searching on Google for “healthy diets” or “healthy meals to lose weight”, we can find more than 470 million results, but the only diet that works is the one you can stick to.
How can I start?
Following a diet of healthy food to lose weight is very complicated. That is why diets that recommend eating certain foods to replace others are the most striking. At Innova Weight Loss Solutions, we are ready to create a strategy that allows the patient to eat what they like best with certain modifications.
Some patients like pizza, chocolate or desserts, but a diet that forbids you to eat all these foods will not have any positive effect or help you lose weight. It would be ideal to be able to access these foods with healthier versions of what you are used to eating, lose weight, and above all, take care of your health by improving blood pressure, diabetes, heart problems, sleep apnea, and other conditions that are aggravated by those extra pounds. We cannot get away from reality and the older we become, the more dangerous it is to have a few extra kilos, putting our health at risk. Our medical nutrition therapy is not about prescribing fad diets; instead, we will create a personalized program for patients to help improve their lifestyle and habits to be healthier.
The healthiest foods or diet to lose weight are called eating well, weight loss needs to be effective. If it’s easier to stick to whole grains, vegetables, nuts, and seeds, and try to avoid excess salt, sugar, and trans fats. We can assure you that patients will begin noticing that these healthy habits lead to consistent and healthy weight loss.
The hardest thing about starting a healthy diet to lose weight is taking the first step. Our team of professionals has recommendations and a set of strategies to help you be successful and lose weight.
Back to basics
To begin a path to weight loss we must begin eating foods in their most natural state. For example, fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc. Unfortunately, today the vast majority of foods we eat are chemically altered; for example, corn syrups that have a high fructose content. Our first recommendation is to always look for the most natural foods, i.e. go back to basics.
Beware of processed foods
When we buy foods packaged in a box, these foods are almost always processed. But what does this mean? It means that the benefits and the goodness of the food have been altered. For this reason, it is much better to eat a strawberry and not a strawberry-flavored cookie.
Avoid certain Ingredients
To be successful when preparing healthy meals for weight loss, there are some ingredients that you should not consider. Several studies have shown that these types of foods affect blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure. To avoid having complications you should avoid the following ingredients:
- Trans fats: Trans fats increase the cholesterol that we call bad cholesterol (LDL) and reduce the cholesterol that we know as good (HDL), which makes the risk of a heart attack imminent.
- Food dyes: These are found mostly in products such as cereals and condiments. According to several studies, dyes are directly related to the development of tumors.
- Artificial sweeteners: This ingredient is found in foods that claim to be low in sugar or carbohydrates. Studies claim that these ingredients can alter our sugar receptors, making us crave a portion of sweet food. If this is your case, you can replace that sweet need with fresh fruit.
- High fructose corn syrup: Concentrated sugars cause alterations in insulin and glucose levels, leading us to want to eat foods with more sugar and fat content.
What foods should I include in my diet if I want my meals to be healthy and help me lose weight?
Next, we are going to introduce you to the essential foods for good health. Thanks to their low sugar and salt content, they are also rich in fiber, which will make any of these foods beneficial for our weight loss goals.
- Hummus: Hummus helps us feel full for much longer, in addition to the high iron content that makes our energy increase.
- Tuna and salmon: Cold water fish are good for activating and preserving neurological functions, it is a natural anti-inflammatory and has effects that help thin the blood. Those are especially recommended for patients with heart problems.
- Gelatin: Gelatin is an ideal snack, it is rich in amino acids (such as glycine) that have positive effects on the skin, nails, and joints of those who consume them.
- Whole grain bread: The main benefactors of these foods are senior adults with vitamin B12 deficiency since it is proven that the older they are, the more difficult it is for the body to absorb this nutrient.
- Garlic powder or fresh garlic: Garlic strengthens the immune system and helps fight high cholesterol.
- Oatmeal: Contains a lot of iron and magnesium, which is very beneficial for the bones. Oatmeal is also a food that helps nourish the good bacteria that we have in our intestines.
To achieve the best results and lose weight, it is necessary to follow a nutritional therapy that fits your needs and weight loss goals. Contact one of our offices in Puerto Rico or New York City to schedule an appointment with one of our professionals or call us at 973-963-2728.