It’s common knowledge that obesity is a risk to the health of people who suffer from it. In addition, the proper functioning of the organs is affected by the body fat that accumulates. In this article, we will discuss the stages of obesity and what they mean for the patient.
Factors such as age, race, or family history contribute to increasing the chances of presenting a disease or health problem related to obesity, such as:
- Diabetes Type 2;
- Heart failure;
- High cholesterol;
- Sleep apnea.
Due to the levels of body fat, we can define obese people who present levels of body fat above normal values, which are 10 to 20% of body fat for the total weight in men and 20 to 30% in women.
Innova Weight Loss Solutions team uses different measurements such as the Body Mass Index to classify the types of obesity, although other factors such as the person’s physical shape, age, and sex must be taken into account.
Types of Obesity According to BMIs
The Body Mass Index (BMI) is used to measure the level of body fat and is calculated according to this formula: BMI = weight/height, measured in Kg/m2.
According to the World Health Organization, the degrees of obesity are classified as follows:
- Normal Weight, if the BMI is 18.5-24.9;
- Overweight, if the BMI is 25-29.9;
- Obesity grade 1 (low risk), if the BMI is 30-34.9;
- Grade 2 obesity (moderate risk), if the BMI is 35 to 39.9;
- Grade 3 obesity (high risk, morbid obesity), if the BMI is equal to or greater than 40;
- Grade 4 obesity (extreme obesity), if the BMI is equal to or greater than 50.
The most dangerous stage of obesity is morbid obesity due to a large number of complications and diseases associated with it. Generally, diets and physical exercise do not solve the problem and weight loss ends in a state of yoyo effect or rebound.
In this type of case, it becomes necessary to use some type of procedure to lose weight, such as the ESG endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty or the Orbera Gastric Balloon. In these cases, it is about reducing the size of the stomach to reduce the sensation of appetite and thus, reducing food intake, contributing to the acquisition of new eating habits.
Calculate your BMI
Types Of Obesity According To The Distribution Of Fat
Another method to classify the obesity that a patient suffers is the distribution of fat. To have a reference and classify the type of obesity, the measurement of the waist and hip are taken into account as a reference.
- In central obesity, fat accumulates mainly in the waist, it is also characterized by excess fat in the face, neck, thorax, and abdomen. They are obese people with a waist larger than their hips. It is the type of obesity considered the most serious since it is related to an increased risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease;
- Peripheral obesity is classified as the fat that accumulates mainly below the waist, in the hips, buttocks, and thighs. They are obese people with hips larger than waists. It is associated with health problems such as varicose veins and osteoarthritis;
- Homogeneous obesity is when excess fat does not predominate in any specific area of the body but is distributed evenly throughout the body.
Types Of Obesity According To The Cause
Obesity always has a specific cause that determines the type of obesity and the most appropriate treatment for the type of obesity that each patient suffers:
- Most cases of obesity are largely due to a genetic condition, being one of the most common causes of obesity;
- When patients have unhealthy eating habits, where saturated fats and fast foods predominate. Apart from a sedentary lifestyle they contribute to reinforcing obesity. This is the case of well-known dietary obesity;
- There are some patients in which fullness becomes a complicated issue since the person is never satisfied when eating and needs to continue eating. This causes the body to become unbalanced, leading patients to imminent overweight and obesity. Obesity due to imbalances in the body weight control system is the most common cause of obesity;
- Nervous type obesity is caused by diseases or psychological disorders linked to depression. This disorder of the central nervous system alters the mechanisms by which the patient feels full after eating, causing obesity;
- Endocrine diseases, such as excess insulin production, or deficit in thyroid hormone production are also factors that cause obesity in patients;
- The patient under pharmacological treatment, such as corticosteroids, antidepressants, or antituberculosis, suffers side effects that cause the accumulation of fat and obesity due to the aforementioned drugs.
Treatments of Obesity
To treat obesity there are many factors related to the lifestyle of patients, such as diet, physical exercise, and other healthy lifestyle habits. Learning to manage and change these habits can contribute to losing weight and reducing the risk of suffering from obesity-related diseases.
The best way to treat obesity is to seek help of a team of professionals such as Innova Weight Loss Solutions where we can offer you medical nutrition therapy to combat and control obesity through long-term treatment focused on changing lifestyle habits, physical exercise, and diet.
In some cases, it may be necessary to undergo obesity treatment. In our offices in New York and Puerto Rico, we have two procedures approved by the FDA to combat obesity, these endoscopic treatments that do not require incisions or long recovery time are available to help you fight obesity. These treatments are Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) and Orbera Gastric Balloon.
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty is a procedure for the treatment of overweight or obesity in which the size of the stomach is reduced with a suture device that is placed through the mouth without the need for surgery, cuts, or scars. This procedure may be an option for patients for whom diet and exercise have not worked and have a body mass index of 27 or higher.
- The Orbera Gastric Balloon consists of placing a silicone balloon in the stomach, which is placed endoscopically and left inside the stomach for 6 months. The device is filled with a saline solution, helping the patient to feel full much faster and with fewer amounts of food. These two powerful tools will help you lose weight and adopt healthier lifestyle habits to keep the weight off.
To start treatment with us you can make an appointment here and start transforming your life today.